"Model 2" prototype status

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Fri Aug 7 16:37:37 UTC 2015

I don't see that there's any other sensible choice.  Asking users to
reason about the partially-heterogeneous translation (where some
instantiations share a class and some do not) in the context of an
existing language feature like static fields would be silly -- and
counterproductive.

(There are other places where the translation will necessarily intrude;
ideally, we want to keep those to reflective features, those that cut
across the language-level type system and the runtime class system, such
as class literals (Foo.class), instanceof, casting, and reflection.)