"Model 2" prototype status

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Fri Aug 7 16:54:09 UTC 2015

Depends what you mean by out.  We are fully aware that this is a
desirable and useful thing to be able to express, and intend to find a
way to do so.  But we don't think that complicating the semantics of
statics is necessarily the right way to get there.  It has been
suggested (thanks Peter) that borrowing the "object" notion from Scala
would be a far better way to achieve this (and other things) than to
change the semantics of static, and I'm inclined to agree.

So the code below is probably "out" as written -- but that doesn't mean
we've given up on solving the underlying problem.