Are value types supposed to work at all currently?

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Thu May 21 14:19:02 UTC 2015

Hi Simon,

On the 1st slide that talks about object overhead, it may be worthwhile to
mention that the overhead stated there is for 32bit.  On 64bit, the header
is either 12 or 16 bytes, depending on whether compressed oops are used or
not (in the case of 12 bytes with compressed oops, the 4 byte alignment gap
can be used to lay out a suitable field in there as well, AFAIK).  Also,
that's Hotspot specific, other JVMs can use different representation/layout.