java.lang.__Value ??

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Mon Nov 23 16:40:51 UTC 2015

[ adding background ]

The __Value type as it currently stands is simply a placeholder for the
current round of compiler experiments (hence the deliberately horrible
name).

In the long run, we need:
  - A place to put Object methods that pertain to values (e.g., equals
and hashCode, but not wait and notify)
  - Possibly a place to put top-level methods that do NOT pertain to
Object (not completely sure what these would be, but its possible we'll
want some, perhaps boxing and unboxing would be surfaced here)
  - Possibly a type to use as a bound in some contexts (though not clear
this is needed)
  - Possibly a type to unify what is common between objects and values
(the current thinking here is something like Objectible / Objectifiable
/ Objectionable / ObjectionYourHonor, which could be an interface
implemented by both Object and values.)

I suspect the __ByValue modifier is there to prevent reference classes
from implementing it, though that can easily be accomplished by other
means such as compiler restrictions for now (and, since its just a
placeholder, this is fine); the final modifier does seem suspect.

I think its fair to say that everything about this class (its name, its
modifiers, whether its a class or an interface, or even whether it
exists) will eventually change...