generic classfile enabled by default

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Mon Apr 18 16:42:29 UTC 2016

Hi all,
I've just pushed few patches to enable the new generic classfile format
by default (previously the new classfile format was only generated when
using the hidden -XDgenericClassFile flag). This is a biggie change, and
many adaptations (pushed over the last month) were required for the JDK
to function and specialize classes correctly. Most test frameworks have
been rewritten in order to work in this new world, and such tests are
currently all green - meaning that the new translation scheme should
work reasonably well; one notable case where you can notice missing
functionality is related to double-slot specialization (i.e. create an
instance of Box<long>) which is currently unsupported  - this will
require VM support and will come at a later stage.

Should you find any issue in making your existing examples work in this
new world, please do not hesitate to let me know on this very list.

Cheers
Maurizio