Review Request: JDK-8185148: [MVT] Class.java's isValueClass causes all non-MVT enabled JVM executions to have an InstanceKlass created for __Value reference

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Fri Jul 28 17:14:03 UTC 2017

On 28/07/17 17:44, Karen Kinnear wrote:
> Maurizio,
>
> Can you clarify for me where we ended up?
> __Value is not checked at the java level if neither EnableMVT or EnableValhalla flag -> system property is set.
>
> Does __Value contain ;Q syntax?
yes, __Value contains mangled ClassInfo names. But it doesn't really use
those in any meaningful way - it's this_class, mostly.
> Do bytecodes that refer to it need ;Q syntax? Or did we end up with a workaround here?
>
> I just want to be sure I understand what is generated when we do enable either valhalla version for other folks
> generating bytecodes.
Well, __value is there and present in the same way, regardless of
whether you enable MVT or not. It's a class in java.base (for now) and
one that uses mangled ClassInfo. So, any attempt to refer to it will
result in failures.

While we got rid of accidental failures (indirect usages through
reflection and MH API), if the user is really determined, he can always
find ways to refer to this class when MVT suppor is disabled, hence
causing a problem.

Maurizio