Crash with "assert(number_of_codes <= 256) failed: too many bytecodes"

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Fri Jul 28 23:22:09 UTC 2017

On 28/07/17 22:15, John Rose wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2017, at 8:57 AM, Tobias Hartmann
> <tobias.hartmann at oracle.com <mailto:tobias.hartmann at oracle.com>> wrote:
>>

>>> Also, why did I not see the issue when running all tests?
>>
>> Did you run with a debug build? Maybe your build cached some files.
>> Re-building after changing bytecodes.hpp should take a long time.
>
> A test that fundamental (and cheap) should fail with "java -version"
> in a release build.
> If that's not the case, there should be this in our code:
>  guarantee(number_of_codes <= 256, "").

Right - I'm too under the impression that this business of critical
error turned off in product build (while I might understand some of the
rationale), seems to be counterproductive - or at least it was in this
case big time.

I was able to run all jdk and langtools jtreg test, and all JDK/hotspot
valhalla tests w/o a single glitch, which does seem weird.

That said, if the 'norm' for HS is to run tests in fastdebug mode (or do
you need full debug to enable these?), then I should just have done
that, of course.

Maurizio