RFR(S): 8182585: [MVT] Reading an uninitialized static value type field should not throw a NPE

Tobias Hartmann tobias.hartmann at oracle.com
Tue Jun 20 17:17:59 UTC 2017

Hi Roland,

thanks for the review!

On 20.06.2017 18:30, Roland Westrelin wrote:
> That looks good to me but it's unfortunate we have to add a runtime
> check.

Yes, we could check the static field value at compile time by accessing it through the Java mirror (similar to ciField::constant_value()) and only emit a runtime check if it's NULL. That assumes that once the field is non-NULL it will always stay non-NULL which should be guaranteed, right?

Best regards,
Tobias