RFR JDK-8181425: Reflection API defend against issues with internal VM derived value type

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Thu Jun 22 02:21:37 UTC 2017

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 5:23 PM, Maurizio Cimadamore <maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> I notice some asymmetry between the VCC and DVT cases. For VCC we have:
>
> * isValueCapable(Class)
> * getValueCapableClass(Class)
>
> For DVT we have
>
> * isValueType(Class)
> * getValueTypeClass(Class)
> * loadValueTypeClass(Class)
>
> There are two kind of inconsistencies at play here - one is a plain naming issue - the suffix Class is not using consistently in all the methods.

I believe David was the author of the MinimalValueType_1_0 class and he might want to comment here.   I haven’t read up the documents in details to determine the proper terminologies.  But I have to admit that I was initially confused with isValueType that refers to DVT.

I would suggest to rename 'ValueType’ to ‘DerivedValueType’ and drop the suffix ‘Class’ from *ValueType* methods and rename ValueCapable to ValueCapableClass to match DVT and VCC.  I don’t mind doing the renaming and I can follow up as a separate changeset.

> The second inconsistency is that for a DVT we distinguish between get/load, while for VCC we do not. But it's a moot distinction, given that getValueTypeClass will always call loadValueTypeClass (and recheck same assertion). Maybe we should fuse those two methods?

ValueType::arrayValueClass calls MinimalValueTypes_1_0::loadValueTypeClass to define an array of DVT.  That’s why they are separate.

I expect there are lot more cleanup to be done once I get familiar with the implementation.

Mandy