[Nestmates] RFR: 8189163: [Nestmates] Updated invokeInterface selection/resolution rules

Karen Kinnear karen.kinnear at oracle.com
Wed Mar 7 22:26:54 UTC 2018

David,

Code looks good. Wouldn’t hurt to have a compiler person (Tobias?) look at the
dependencies is_witness().

Totally agree with making the SelectionResolution cleanup a separate bug. Had a couple
of questions on expected behavior changes for that one that I will put in 8194857.

I very much appreciate your test design - how clear it is what is happening and
how few generated/jcod classes you needed for these parts of the matrix.
And that you tested direct, MH and reflection. Many thanks!

Really minor:
1. TestMethodSelection.java, TestInterfaceMethodSelection.java
Could you possibly modify the comment - if you agree with me :-)
“The second run disables inflation” to “the second run disables the inflation threshold”
(I know the names says noInflation, but to me it means “inflate immediately”)

And many thanks for testing  both reflection approaches!

2. TestInterfaceMethodSelection.java
line 80: did you mean to have I.m public in this case?

3. TestMethodSelection.java
line 78: did you mean to have A.m public in this case?

What was the reason for having class A in the exercise?
I would understand if A.m were the target, then you could experiment
with skipping e.g. C.m but finding B.m, which might have been an issue
if we had a different behavior for local method finding for selection - like
we do for resolution, but we don’t. (e.g. interface method resolution will find a local private
method but not a super interface private method), i.e. I can imagine
writing a bug that would catch.

thanks!
Karen