[Exp] First prototype of new acmp bytecode

Tobias Hartmann tobias.hartmann at oracle.com
Thu Mar 8 16:39:07 UTC 2018

Hi,

I've added type speculation on non-nullness to avoid the null check when emitting the new acmp (it
only helps for non-jsr292 methods if -XX:TypeProfileLevel is set to > 111). We might want to add
more speculation in the future but I think that should be enough for now. I've also fixed the code
in macro.cpp and converted the test to the jtreg format:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~thartmann/valhalla/exp/acmp.04/

Here is a simple JMH benchmark that tests some common cases:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~thartmann/valhalla/exp/acmp.04/NewAcmpBenchmark.java

-XX:-TieredCompilation -XX:-UseNewAcmp
Benchmark                                Mode  Cnt    Score   Error   Units
NewAcmpBenchmark.newCmp                 thrpt  200  108.911 ± 0.086  ops/us
NewAcmpBenchmark.newCmpDoubleNull       thrpt  200   88.206 ± 4.792  ops/us
NewAcmpBenchmark.newCmpDoubleNullFalse  thrpt  200   72.742 ± 7.563  ops/us
NewAcmpBenchmark.newCmpField            thrpt  200  107.090 ± 0.083  ops/us
NewAcmpBenchmark.oldCmp                 thrpt  200  114.466 ± 0.077  ops/us

-XX:-TieredCompilation -XX:+UseNewAcmp -XX:ValueBasedClasses=compiler/valhalla/valuetypes/MyValue
Benchmark                                Mode  Cnt    Score   Error   Units
NewAcmpBenchmark.newCmp                 thrpt  200  101.480 ± 0.260  ops/us
NewAcmpBenchmark.newCmpDoubleNull       thrpt  200   90.429 ± 4.741  ops/us
NewAcmpBenchmark.newCmpDoubleNullFalse  thrpt  200   81.230 ± 4.115  ops/us
NewAcmpBenchmark.newCmpField            thrpt  200  102.224 ± 0.019  ops/us
NewAcmpBenchmark.oldCmp                 thrpt  200  114.336 ± 0.239  ops/us

In the worst case, if we need to emit the new acmp and the first operand is not null, there is a
performance impact of 6.80% (see newCmp).

However, in many cases we can use static type information to optimize. For example, if we know that
one operand is a value type, we can emit a "double null check". This causes the performance impact
to disappear into the noise (see newCmpDoubleNull). If we know in addition that one operand is
always non-null, we can emit a static false. This improves performance by ~11% (high error) compared
to old acmp.

There is one pitfall. If we compare two object fields, C2 optimizes old acmp to directly compare the
narrow oops (no need to decode). With the new acmp, we need to decode the oop because we use derived
oops for perturbation. Surprisingly, the newCmpField benchmark shows that the regression is even
lower than in the newCmp case (4.5%). That's probably because the comparison is always false and
therefore the CPUs branch prediction works better, mitigating the performance impact of the
additional instructions.

The last benchmark (oldCmp) verifies that if C2 is able to determine that one operand is not a value
type, we can use the old acmp and performance is equal to the baseline.

I will re-run the tests with type speculation enabled to see how much of a difference that makes.

I think this is stable enough to be pushed to the Exp branch. Any objections?

Thanks,
Tobias