[Nestmates] RFR (S): Dynamic nestmate update

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Tue Oct 30 22:48:08 UTC 2018

Hi Karen,

Thanks for taking a look.

On 31/10/2018 12:00 AM, Karen Kinnear wrote:
> Agree with setting the dynamic_nest_host before publishing.
> Agree with disallowing mixing static and dynamic membership.
>
> JVMTI - not clear on this one. The CFLH generally does not follow the JVMTI restrictions, since it
> is viewed as completely replacing the class file before it is ever seen, so there are currently (AFAICT)
> no restrictions on what can be done at this time.
>
> I don’t know the best way to handle that. One approach would be to just throw the current ClassFormatError
> and agent authors will learn that they can not define NestHost or NestMembers even at CFLH time.

Does CFLH currently transform unsafe anonymous classes? I can see both
pluses and minuses for allowing that. On the plus side simple
instrumentation applies to all classes, but dynamically generated
classes only have to follow VM rules, not language rules, so an agent
could easily try to do something that is not appropriate or applicable
to a dynamically generated classfile. So this seems to be a "thin ice"
situation - if it works great, if it doesn't the agent authors can't
really complain too much.

Dealing with NestHost and NestMembers is new territory for agents. The
"best practice" there is that these attributes should simply be
preserved, unless explicitly trying to modify something related to nests
(not permitted for redefinition/retransformation). If they are trying to
modify something related to nests then they will have to be informed
about dynamic nest membership somehow. Not sure how - perhaps the origin
of the initial bytes ie Classloader.defineClass versus Lookup.defineClass?

> They certainly have no way to distinguish dynamically defined classes from statically defined classes.
> Perhaps it would make sense to add the the JVMTI specification that this is true even at CFLH time?
> If so, we would need to perform a before/after check.

I would not want to add something that requires an expensive validity
check at runtime. What we did for retransform/redefinition was bad
enough. :(

Cheers,
David