early steps on the road to customization

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 11:19:23 UTC 2020

Hi,

I just wanted to see how far I could go with existing VM features,
namely: @Stable annotation and MutableCallSite. Here's a variant of
ClassValue that replaces entirely existing one and supports dynamic
sizing of backing array, get(), remove() and put() operations and even
re-use of table indexes used by GC-ed ClassValue instances. It passes
the ClassValueTest:

https://github.com/plevart/valhalla/pull/3

It still manages to constant-fold the associated value when both
ClassValue and Class are constants. Here's a benchmark that also
includes variants where either or both of ClassValue and Class are
constants or not to show how it compares with existing ClassValue. It is
slower, but not by very much:

https://gist.github.com/plevart/edce6f150b881b542cc722ce11424ae3

I hope this can be used in performance experiments until JVM support for
speculative values is created.

Regards, Peter