[lworld] RFR: 8247357: Flattenable field concept needs some cleanup

Frederic Parain fparain at openjdk.java.net
Fri Jun 12 19:16:52 UTC 2020

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 08:06:38 GMT, David Simms <dsimms at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review these changes cleaning up the flattenable field concept.
>> The concept has evolved with time and now all fields with an inline type are by definition flattenable, so the need to
>> have a "flattenable bit" on the side is gone. The changeset contains a mix of renaming and code cleaning. The changes
>> don't include JIT code, which would be fix in a follow-up patch.
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Fred
>
> +1
>

>> Just wondering if "is_inlined()" wouldn't be an option as well? "Allocated" sounds like there is
>> some heap allocation for that field going on.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tobias

OK, after another round of renaming:
 - "is_inline_type"  is used to test if the type of a field is an inline type or not
 - "is_inlined" is used to test if the field has been flattened in the layout of its container

Both expression are close, and can easily be found together with grep.

I've tried to fix all the comments to align them with the new names of methods and fields.

The term "flattened" is still use for arrays.