Review Request: Add ClassOption.STRONG and default is unspecified

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Wed Mar 18 21:52:00 UTC 2020

On Mar 18, 2020, at 1:29 AM, Remi Forax <forax at univ-mlv.fr> wrote:

> As a non native English reader, i prefer the word "adjacent".

YDMV (Your Dictionary May Vary), but both “adjacent” and
“coterminous” are from Latin, which is common property
of technical writing in many modern languages, including
the ones you and I use.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/coterminous#etymonline_v_28958
https://www.etymonline.com/word/adjacent#etymonline_v_5117

More importantly, adjacent doesn’t have the right meaning.
“Co-terminous” (also, “conterminous”) literally means “having
a common termination”, which is exactly what Alex is trying to
say—the two entities have the same end-of-life.  (This happens
only when the JVM’s GC sees links pointing both ways between
two objects.)  That’s why I enjoyed his pick of that word.

There are other options, but none as precise:

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/conterminous

— John

P.S. Etymonline.com is one of my favorite sites to visit!
I confess to using thesaurus.com for the usual guilty reason,
of knowing there’s a right word out there, but not having
it ready in memory.  A distributed shared high-latency
cache for vocabulary, I suppose.