Review Request: 8238358: Implementation of JEP 371: Hidden Classes

Vicente Romero vicente.romero at oracle.com
Fri Mar 27 21:15:29 UTC 2020

Hi Mandy,

The patch for nestmates [1] could be used as a reference. There a new
method was added to class `com.sun.tools.javac.jvm.Target`, named:
`hasNestmateAccess` which checks if a target is ready for nestmates or
not. I think that you can follow a similar approach here.

Thanks,
Vicente

[1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/rev/2f2af62dfac7

On 3/27/20 12:29 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> Good point.  The javac change only applies to JDK 15 and later and the
> lambda proxy class is not a nestmate when running on JDK 14 or earlier.
>
> I probably need the help from langtools team to fix this.  I'll give
> it a try.
>
> Mandy
>
> On 3/27/20 4:31 AM, Jan Lahoda wrote:
>> Hi Mandy,
>>
>> Regarding the javac changes - should those be switched on/off
>> depending the Target? Or, if one compiles with e.g. --release 14,
>> will the newly generated output still work on JDK 14?
>>
>> Jan
>>
>> On 27. 03. 20 0:57, Mandy Chung wrote:
>>> Please review the implementation of JEP 371: Hidden Classes. The
>>> main changes are in core-libs and hotspot runtime area.  Small
>>> changes are made in javac, VM compiler (intrinsification of
>>> Class::isHiddenClass), JFR, JDI, and jcmd.  CSR [1]has been reviewed
>>> and is in the finalized state (see specdiff and javadoc below for
>>> reference).
>>>
>>> Webrev:
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/valhalla/webrevs/hidden-classes/webrev.03
>>>

>>> Hidden class is created via `Lookup::defineHiddenClass`. From JVM's
>>> point
>>> of view, a hidden class is a normal class except the following:
>>>
>>> - A hidden class has no initiating class loader and is not
>>> registered in any dictionary.
>>> - A hidden class has a name containing an illegal character
>>> `Class::getName` returns `p.Foo/0x1234` whereas `GetClassSignature`
>>> returns "Lp/Foo.0x1234;".
>>> - A hidden class is not modifiable, i.e. cannot be redefined or
>>> retransformed. JVM TI IsModifableClass returns false on a hidden.
>>> - Final fields in a hidden class is "final".  The value of final
>>> fields cannot be overriden via reflection. setAccessible(true) can
>>> still be called on reflected objects representing final fields in a
>>> hidden class and its access check will be suppressed but only have
>>> read-access (i.e. can do Field::getXXX but not setXXX).
>>>
>>> Brief summary of this patch:
>>>
>>> 1. A new Lookup::defineHiddenClass method is the API to create a
>>> hidden class.
>>> 2. A new Lookup.ClassOption enum class defines NESTMATE and STRONG
>>> option that
>>>     can be specified when creating a hidden class.
>>> 3. A new Class::isHiddenClass method tests if a class is a hidden
>>> class.
>>> 4. Field::setXXX method will throw IAE on a final field of a hidden

>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/valhalla/webrevs/hidden-classes/api/