The feasibility of unifying the void as type

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Tue May 18 15:22:38 UTC 2021

You are correct that it seems possible, and that this idea has many
attractive aspects.  For example, we may be able to unify everything
under one `Function` type:

     interface IntFunction<T> extends Function<int, T> { }
     interface ToIntFunction<T> extends Function<T, int> { }
     interface Consumer<T> extends Function<T, void> { }
     interface Runnable extends Function<void, void> { }

For another, we may be able to unify switch expressions and switch
statements, where a switch statement is a void switch expression.

So the opportunities are very attractive; the devil is in the details.
There is much JLS to be combed through, to evaluate whether we can align
these concepts.  (For example, we currently make a distinction between
void-compatible and value-compatible lambdas in overload selection; if
these merge, would this result in incompatible changes to overload
selection decisions?)

So this has been "on the list to investigate" for a long time, and we're
hopefully soon coming to the point where we can do so.