notes from Valhalla meeting 5/24/17

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Wed Jun 21 18:13:41 UTC 2017

> On 21 Jun 2017, at 01:46, John Rose <john.r.rose at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On Jun 19, 2017, at 6:28 PM, John Rose <john.r.rose at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have updated the javadoc portion of the spec for constant-dynamic.
>> There are small but strategic changes to MethodType and MethodHandle,
>> as well as new classes to represent the "pull mode" of constant resolution.
>> The key changes relevant to the JVM are in package-info.html,
>> and (of course) in the forthcoming JVM spec. changes.
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jrose/jvm/specdiff-condy-2017-0619.zip
>>

> The forthcoming has come forth.  Here is a semi-formatted and
> color-annotated diff of the JVMS outlining proposed support for
> dynamic constants, as well as some enhancements to the processing
> of bootstrap methods:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jrose/jvm/condy-jvms-2017-0620.html

Nice, a thorougher set of changes.

I like the trigger on arity. There is no dependency on the signature of the BSM (although as an implementation detail we can optimize).

Trivially (perhaps as note?) a BSM is not limited to being solely referenced by a CONSTANT_ConstantDynamic_info or a CONSTANT_InvokeDynamic_info. Just like previously a BSM was not limited to being solely referenced by one kind of CONSTANT_InvokeDynamic_info.

It’s now much easier to share BSMs if that is ones desire.

Paul.