value type hygiene

forax at univ-mlv.fr forax at univ-mlv.fr
Fri May 11 17:22:48 UTC 2018

I agree with Brian that having spurious NPEs will not help.

I think reporting a NPE is nefarious here, the semantics of a NPE is too engraved in the Java dev heads,
we should report an incompatible change class error or exactly a subtype like by example VMHeroicEffortToProvideValueTypeMigrationFromAReferenceTypeFailError saying which class see the value type as a reference type (in order to be re-compiled).

Rémi