value type hygiene

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Mon May 14 23:13:59 UTC 2018

I think i prefer a declaration site annotation like @ValueBasedClass to a use site annotation ValueRef<V>.

For me a value based class, if you want to be as compatible as possible, is a reference type (so 'L') that behave like a value type at runtime, so the JIT can see it has a value type at runtime and can unbox it at will and buffer/box it before calling a method at the horizon of the inlining blob.

So as a library designer, i can choose to either replace a class by a real value type and it will fail if null is present or as a value based class if i value (sorry !) the backward compatibility more than the performance.

Note that even if we solve the null issue when a reference type is changed to a value type and i think it's not something we should focus on, there is still the problem of the identity, so transforming a reference to a value type will never be 100% compatible.

Rémi