Is V? what we need ?

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Wed May 1 18:12:17 UTC 2019

I agree with Brian that most of the 'conversion-like' nature we see in V
to V? is likely associated with Q-thinking, after having been a victim
of it myself in a private conversation :-)

However, I think my more general point remains - the fact that the VM
has the flexibility to treat V and V? as, fundamentally, the same thing
shouldn't necessarily drive the conclusion that, _at the language level_
there should be a subtyping relationship between V and V?.

 From a pedagogical perspective, whether we like it or not, users are
immediately going to think in terms of box/unbox, so I think it'd be
surprising if the new inline classes and their projections had rules
radically different from those which apply to the int/Integer case.

Maurizio