Is V? what we need ?

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Wed May 1 23:12:24 UTC 2019

I buy your argument, Brian, for shedding boxes from
the center of the user model for V and V?.

Given that V and V? have different contracts (per my
previous note), so that they can have different physical
representations in the JVM, it turns out that this statement:

   V is a subtype of V?  (for any inline type)

is true in pretty much the same way as this statement:

   int is a subtype of long

Does that mean their formats are the same?  No.  (In fact
their descriptors are of wholly different *kinds*.)  Is the
value set of one a superset of the other?  Why yes.  Can
overloading selection (first phase!) choose either but
prefer the narrower?  Oh, yes.  (No boxes in that phase.)
Is it a different kind of super-type relation that inheritance?
Yes, it's a corner case in the JLS.

(Are their respective arrays related?  Hmm, that's interesting.
We've been round and round on this one.  It looks like V?
and V are closer in that respect than int and long.)