Species-static members vs singletons

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Sun May 22 22:58:23 UTC 2016

Hi Brian,

I agree that "species" placement is a better, less verbose option. But
how to solve the language problem of having "species" and "instance"
members of the same "type-variable" type be assignable to one-another?
For example:

class Foo<any T> {
     species T st;
     T it;

     void m() {
         it = st; // this can not be allowed
         st = it; // this can be allowed

         // maybe this could be allowed?
         @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
         it = (T) st;
     }

Singleton abstraction has the same problem.

So while technically possible, it would be weird to have 'T' sometimes
not be assignable to 'T'. Can we live with that?

Regards, Peter