Cancelled: Valhalla EG meeting Wednesday August 16

Karen Kinnear karen.kinnear at oracle.com
Thu Aug 10 17:09:11 UTC 2017

Dan Smith and I will both be out of town. I am cancelling the meeting on August 16th.

Thank you to everyone for all the hard work to get the MVT JVMS spec in a place for early
experimentation.

We sent the announcement to the valhalla-dev alias yesterday that the repository has an mvt
branch that is ready to try.

Please try it and send us feedback on that alias as well.

For our next meeting, August 30th:
AI 1:All: review ConstantDynamic JVMS
  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jrose/jvm/condy-jvms-2017-0620.html <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jrose/jvm/condy-jvms-2017-0620.html>

AI 2: In addition, we will be exploring some potential changes to the nestmates
JVMS, which we will send in an email before then and can discuss at the meeting.

thanks,
Karen

p.s. here were ConstantDynamic JVMS questions from Lois Foltan and me from July 19th email

John,

Condy JVMS looks really good.

Couple of small questions/comments:

1. 4.5 fields
  in 5.4.3.6 you have a much clearer description of the argument types
  could you either reference that or include the bullets here? (the syntax is not clear from the sentence structure)

2. instructions that can use condy
  The JVMS lists ldc/ldc_w
  I think you mentioned that a bootstrap method specifier could contain a condy CP reference

Are there other places these can appear today?

3. We need to discuss redefineclasses and BootstrapMethod Attributes
  - Lois and I think we may already have an issue here with indy and condy could just
    make this more common
  - we may want to enhance the redefineclasses documentation restrictions on attributes

The redefinition may change method bodies, the constant pool and attributes. The redefinition must not add, remove or rename fields or methods, change the signatures of methods, or change inheritance. These restrictions maybe be lifted in future versions. The class file bytes are not checked, verified and installed until after the transformations have been applied, if the resultant bytes are in error this method will throw an exception.

thanks,
Karen