off-list <was> Re: Valhalla EG minutes 6/21/17

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Wed Jul 12 00:03:47 UTC 2017

On Jul 11, 2017, at 4:34 PM, Paul Sandoz <paul.sandoz at oracle.com> wrote:

> That leaves the more general nested named class support which requires more fundamental hotspot work.
>
> So in terms of progress order it could be: 2), 3), 1). But if we throw isolated methods into the mix then the plot thickens.

I think we should get the nestmate stuff nailed down first, then we can see more clearly how to do the U.DC nest injection logic.  The existing, rather random stuff host-access logic will be hard to specify, and will be subsumed (and outdated) by nestmates.

The isolated method idea can be specified "as if" there were a class wrapped around the method, but discarded.  The specification burden for that, probably, is defining what MethodHandleInfo (if any) comes out of cracking the MH for the isolated method.  "No info" is a good starting point.

Remi's idea of an ad hoc "get my user data" API point (in Lookup for safety) makes sense to me; I don't see how to improve it.

— John