UFoo; ?? Was: notes from Valhalla meeting 5/24/17

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Sat Jun 10 11:19:10 UTC 2017

The need for a UFoo; is not clear to me.

So correct me if i'm wrong,
u-bytecodes are bytecodes for representing something similar to T and Foo<T> in Java but for the VM with the supplementary constraint that T can be either a primitive, a value type or class.

I do not see how does UFoo; fit in this scheme ?

Is it to represent Foo<?> ?, i do not think so, Foo<?> can still be represented by it's erasure, Foo, we just need a way to represent '?', which is any (java.lang.Any ?).

Is it to represent Foo<? extends Bar>, i do not think so, again, it can be represented by it's raw type with an explicit cast from any to Bar when we need the value represented by '? extends Bar'.

so why do we need UFoo; ??

Rémi