JVMS draft for L-world value types with support for nullability

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Thu Feb 1 14:37:10 UTC 2018

On Jan 31, 2018, at 7:38 PM, Frederic Parain <frederic.parain at oracle.com> wrote:

> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~acorn/LWorldValueTypesjan31.pdf <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~acorn/LWorldValueTypesjan31.pdf>
>

> Feedback and comments are welcome.

A couple more comments about Object as an "honorary interface":

As your document suggests, I don't think we have a real option to
make a new top type I$Object that is a proper interface.  Instead,
we have to get into the habit of treating Object like an interface.

The cost of this is pretty small, I think.  Mainly we have to treat
the "messy" API of Object (wait/notify/finalize) as a set of partial
functions, which can throw exceptions (or have some other empty
behavior) when applied to values.

— John