EG help please with getting to LW1 re: Value Types Consistency Checking

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Sat Jul 7 21:08:27 UTC 2018

Hi Tobi.  Thanks for the write-up.

To be brief, your proposed technique will seems to require lazier selection of calling
sequences than what Karen proposed.  Argument and return registers cannot be assigned
to values if their size is unknown, which is the case before they are loaded.  The JVM
must wait as late as the first actual call (with non-null parameters) to determine calling
sequences.

Karen's proposal allows calling sequences to be determined at preparation (v-table pack)
time, while yours requires them to be chosen much later, by the time of the first invocation
of a given v-table slot.  (For JVMs without vtables, a "v-table slot" really means an
equivalence class of CONSTANT_[I*]Methodrefs equated by the transitive closure of
override relations.)  The bytecode instruction just before that invocation might have been
a defaultvalue instruction on a previously unloaded class.  This means the JVM needs
to install traps in unused v-table slots, so it can decide calling sequences.

Karen's proposal, therefore, has the advantage of allowing the JVM more lead time
freedom to set up v-table calling sequences, at preparation time.  Yours requires
just-in-time assignment of calling sequences, which seems more difficult.

This leads to the question, what advantage did you find, with Packed Objects, from
making calling sequence setup lazier?  (I'm assuming that system scalarized arguments
into multiple registers.)  In other words, why is your phasing of the checks better than
Karen's?

— John

P.S. Background:

So we are extending object references (Ljava/lang/Object;) to cover references to values
also, at least in L-world.  This gives a simple story for the interpreter and a fallback for
less-optimized JIT-compiled code, but isn't enough to compete with statically-compiled
languages.

So the new requirement here is to make it possible for compiled calling sequences
to use specialized representations for value parameters and returns.  In particular, we
often wish to use one or more machine registers to hold scalarized fields, and we wish
to exclude null values (which require an extra encoding and impede some optimizations).

A secondary requirement is that we wish to pick the compiled calling sequence once
and not have to revise it.  This implies picking the calling sequence no later than the first
execution (compiled or interpreted) of any particular method, and getting it right the first
time.

Deoptimization of calling sequences–across override-trees of methods–is a trick we are
holding in reserve, but it seems a risky research project rather than an understood technique.
I think deoptimization at this scale hasn't been proven efficient yet, although it may be.

It seems that in order to flatten, we are obligated to load value types more eagerly
than object types.  Value types can't "hide behind" a polymorphic reference; any
user of a value type in its native form (not boxed) needs to "see" its complete field
list, which requires loading the classfile.  This is certainly true for object layout,
where an object that contains a value-typed field must load that value type to see
how much space it must reserve for it, in that object's flattened and packed layout.

Given that we are going to routinely pre-load value type classfiles, it is reasonable
to apply this technique in other places besides the layout of instances and fields.
In particular, the layout of calling sequences is in many ways closely analogous
to the layout of instances.  (There is a deep symmetry between calls and objects,
arising perhaps from the fact that function applications are isomorphic to curried
functions or tuples.  In any case, it seems to me that some such symmetry crops
up between the O-O notions of field extension and virtual method extension, and
so in JVM's treatment of object layout vs. its treatment of virtual dispatch, both of
which are examined carefully at loading and preparation time, before execution.)

Anyway, if we are going to preload field classes, it is no great additional burden to
preload argument classes too, if an appropriate signal can be defined (the VT list).
It might even be reasonable to preload *all* VTs mentioned in the list, just to make
the preloading process simpler and more predictable.  I'm looking for reasons that
this is a *bad* idea, so we can say in the end, "here's exactly why we had to make
the loading logic for VTs so tricky"–if we must.