Lifting operations from inline classes to reference projections

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Mon Dec 16 14:27:59 UTC 2019

> I'm not too worried about having a V.ref with its own members - after
> all, V.ref should be a language fiction (for the VM, the only real
> thing is V). So, in my mental model, it will be javac, not the VM, to
> do most of the lifting here. Am I wrong in my assumption?

The VM team has expressed a preference that these members not be
duplicated, so we're exploring alternatives.  One alternative that has
been suggested is: if X is a reference projection of V, then
`invokeinterface X.m()`, be adjusted to look for members on V. (Some
adjustments would be made to the resolution for the case of private
implementations, where the access check would be relaxed on the
implementation _class_ but not the _member_.  This sidesteps the problem
with the obvious solution (interface methods on V.ref) having to do with
non-public methods.)