Updated SoV documents

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Thu Apr 2 16:26:18 UTC 2020

Hi Tobi;

I don't have an answer for you offhand, but the current "eclair" model
eliminates one of the reasons we needed the new syntax for C_Class --
that a class name could refer to two VM-level types. This is no longer
the case; each VM type corresponds to exactly one classfile.

The reason I can't give you an unqualified yes at this point is that I
am not sure whether we still need to include a "Q" somewhere as a
preload signal.  When Q descriptors appear in certain places (e.g.,
field declarations), they generate load order constraints, and in other
places, they generate nullity assumptions.

I will leave it to Frederic to answer whether we have run out of reasons
to need anything other than binary class names in C_Class structures.
(It would be nice if we have!)