[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Speed of drawPolyline on JDK11

Laurent Bourgès bourges.laurent at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 11:25:33 UTC 2018

Hi Phil,

> I proposed 2 small fixes for jdk12... still to be done, as better
> solutions are not yet ready and I am completely overbusy on testing Java
> Sorting algorithms.
>
> Maybe I will give up fixing the native renderer, for these reasons:
> - stdlib qsort implementation and performance (bentley qsort 93 or merge
> sort on linux) is platform dependent, so it may take time to validate its
> behaviour (small vs large arrays, not really random, closer to almost
> sorted data)
>

> I don't think we should use anyC++  stdlib:: code here if that is what you
> mean.

No I proposed to use stdlib (C) qsort(... cmp) as it is done in the same
class to sort initially edges, i.e. see my previous diff => ~1s time.
I prefer focusing on integrating Marlin nonAA (like jfx) to get rid of this
native code, than fixing C code, except such simple change.

> Any small improvements we can make by having a better sort in our sources
> would
> be better.
> If they aren't ready for 12, no problem. 13 is around the corner ..

Yes, I know, but if you have time, I can propose a very simple Marlin patch
to improve a bit its sorting performance in such extreme case: ~0.5s to
0.22s !

> - AA rendering is now the common case where the Marlin renderer is active
> & fast enough.
>
> Would you accept enabling antialiasing by default in jdk12 ?
> Up to now, RenderingHint.ANTIALIASING_DEFAULT means ANTIALIASING_OFF.
>

> That is a big change and I do not think we should do it.

Yes it is a one-liner but it can have large impacts, so I agree it should
be discussed in CSR ... so maybe in 13 ?

Cheers,
Laurent

Several users faced performance issues with the native renderer (hidpi,
complex shapes, clipping dashed shapes) where the Marlin renderer performs
far better.

Finally I can now focus on a trivial Marlin patch to tune its sort
algorithm selection...

Cheers,
Laurent