Loosening requirements for super() invocation

Archie Cobbs archie.cobbs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 19:18:19 UTC 2022

This is an old thread which I've been looking at again lately.

To summarize, the idea is to relax the JLS rules about code prior to
super()/this() invocation to more closely match what the JVM allows, which
is field assignments and any code that doesn't reference 'this'. Relevant
issues are JDK-8194743 <https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8194743> and
JDK-8193760 <https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8193760>.

In order to make this idea less theoretical, I've prototyped all the
required compiler changes. There is also a write-up describing them
<https://github.com/archiecobbs/jdk/blob/JDK-8193760/README-JDK-8193760.md>.

There are a few interesting subtleties, e.g. relating to initialization
blocks, and there is also a sub-question, which is whether to allow
invoking super()/this() within a try block (this would have to be under the
restriction that any catch or finally clause must not return normally).
Currently that's not possible without a small JVM change, which I also
think might be worth considering to really round out this new feature. See
the writeup for details.

To see some examples of what would be allowed, see this unit test
<https://github.com/archiecobbs/jdk/blob/JDK-8193760/test/langtools/tools/javac/superInit/SuperInitGood.java>.
The compiler changes are here
<https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/compare/master...archiecobbs:jdk:JDK-8193760>
.