JEP 463: Implicitly Declared Classes (Second Preview) - Draft Spec Clarification

Ron Pressler ron.pressler at oracle.com
Tue Nov 28 19:05:38 UTC 2023

> On 28 Nov 2023, at 18:59, Leonid Arbuzov <leonid.arbouzov at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > Alternatively, the JCK could rely on the following from the new spec (although I don’t know to what extent that’s allowed):
> Yes, the JCK can use that typically generated class names. This might work for the most Java SE implementations. Original question was what should the JCK do for those non-typical implementations? The JCK can ask an user to provide a custom converter (source name to class name).
> But this would not work for implementations that generate class names indeterministically. Hopefully there will be none or a few of such ones and the JCK can run a weaker tests for them. But a concern was that JCK users would be allowed to choose to run those weaker tests...
> Can the spec somehow close this option? Or the JCK can close it on its own?

I think the most complete solution is for the JCK in such a case is to require the implementation to provide some script that compiles the source file and returns the class name of the top-level class that could then be used for launching OR a script that compiles and then immediately runs the file.

— Ron