Relaxed assignment conversions for sealed types

forax at univ-mlv.fr forax at univ-mlv.fr
Sun Nov 22 19:06:37 UTC 2020

> De: "Brian Goetz" <brian.goetz at oracle.com>

A cast is equivalent to an if that throws a CCE in the else branch and a total-switch with one case (because there is only one subtype) throws an exception in its default branch.
So they are roughly equivalent without squinting too much (the behavior for null is also different).

One problem we have is how to declare a total switch when it's not a switch expression, so the problem is a little different than just how to declare a total switch.
This problem can be seen as even more specific if we say that once there is a "case Type", then the switch is total, because it becomes how to declare a total switch when it's a switch statement on an enum (and maybe an enum on true/false).
At that point, it can be seen as a corner of a corner case because of backward compatibility that we will not fix or choose to fix it using the cast to void syntax proposed earlier (the least bad proposed syntax IMO).

About using total as a prefix for a cast, I suppose that the idea is to have a compile-time error message if the sealed type permits more than one class.
While it's cool, i'm not sure we need that and an annotation at declaration site similar too @FunctionalInterface seems a better idea than using 'total' at each use site.

regards,
Rémi