Relaxed assignment conversions for sealed types

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Tue Nov 24 14:10:35 UTC 2020

On 31/10/2020 23:30, Brian Goetz wrote:

>> On Oct 25, 2020, at 10:06 AM, Brian Goetz <brian.goetz at oracle.com
>> <mailto:brian.goetz at oracle.com>> wrote:
>>
>> To make it clear that I'm not talking about the annoyance of typing
>> the cast, let's pretend I'm suggesting to write it like this:
>>
>>     BarImpl bi = (__static BarImpl) b;
>
> Pulling on this string some more — I think there’s a connection
> between this feature and total statement switches.  We’ve been looking
> for a way to make statement switches total, and here, what we’re
> looking for is a way to make _casts_ total.  Which suggests this is
> one feature, not two.  So perhaps:
>
>     switch-total (x) { … }  // a switch, but with added bonus totality
> checking
>
>     BarImpl b = (total BarImpl) bar  // a cast, but with added bonus
> totality checking

I agree the latter is a common enough problem when writing
implementation code where you have a sealed hierarchy and you know
there's only one impl (Foreign API has this all over the place).

To throw in the mix - how is some kind of pattern match assignment (we
referred to as a "let expression" in some of the earlier docs [1]) would
change the picture here? In other words, maybe it's overloading `=`
which is at odds here, and we need to make it more explicit that this is
more akin to an extraction/match?

Maurizio

[1] - https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~briangoetz/amber/pattern-semantics.html