Relaxed assignment conversions for sealed types

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Tue Nov 24 14:45:48 UTC 2020

You think that not typechecking that BarImpl is the sole implementation of Bar everytime you write a cast is a problem ?
I don't know for the Foreign API, but having a static helper method that takes a BarImpl and returns a Bar is not enough ?

BarImpl impl(Bar bar) {
return switch(bar) { case BarImpl impl -> impl; };
}

Or am i missing something ?

> To throw in the mix - how is some kind of pattern match assignment (we referred
> to as a "let expression" in some of the earlier docs [1]) would change the
> picture here? In other words, maybe it's overloading `=` which is at odds here,
> and we need to make it more explicit that this is more akin to an
> extraction/match?
The match operator (as in let ... match), is more or less what C# as done by using switch as an operator,
BarImpl impl(Bar bar) {
return bar switch { case BarImpl impl -> impl; };
}

It's still a possible syntax for total-switch.
Anyway, it doesn't answer to your question, it seems you want something in the middle in between a cast and a switch, let impl = bar;

> Maurizio
Rémi