<AWT Dev> <AWT dev>[9] Review request for 8154434: Open the request focus methods of the java.awt.Component which accept FocusEvent.Cause

Semyon Sadetsky semyon.sadetsky at oracle.com
Tue Apr 26 13:14:42 UTC 2016

On 4/26/2016 3:49 PM, Philip Race wrote:
> > In applications one may need to know the reason why focus is requested
>
> I do not mean why should apps want to *know* the cause.
>
> I am asking why apps should be able to *specify* the cause as
> proposed by this change.
>
> Being "symmetric" is not a sufficient reason.
I just clarified that there are no a lot of needs for apps here.
But if a framework is developed it may require to develop a custom
implementation of KeyboardFocusManager, for example. Such KFM may simply
override any logic that uses focus cause.
Just from general consideration: JFC have been made open for extensions.

--Semyon