<AWT Dev> [8u] Review request for 8157838 Personalized Windows Font Size is not taken into account in Java8u102

Philip Race philip.race at oracle.com
Tue May 31 13:52:01 UTC 2016

Hi,

So it seems probable from these that being "dpiaware" means that all
windows versions
will behave the same for the text size.

What I don't know for sure but still suspect, is that non-dpi aware apps
on Windows 8.1
and Win 10 will be the ones treated differently than they were on Win 7 & 8.
ie those will get the whole app scaled, not just the fonts, but as a
result it
will be as if the fonts were 100% and then the window scaled, since that is
how windows 8.1 and later interprets this for setting non-dpi aware apps.

As you suggest there are somewhat contradictory requirements.
We want to revert the regression but also deal with the text that is
scaled disproportionately to the application. The dilemma there
though is that if we don't scale it then on a very hidpi system where
the scale is 200% they may find a different problem of too small to read
text if we don't.

Having said that .. I do note that only the Win L&F is picking up  the
font scale.

The issues are complex enough that I think just reverting for the
immediate upcoming
PSU is best and we then we discuss the options as to what, if anything,
can be done in 8u.

-phil.