RFR: 8276905: Function frag_col has a deployment target which is incompatible with this OS [v2]

Erik Joelsson erikj at openjdk.java.net
Fri Nov 12 14:52:39 UTC 2021

On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 15:32:01 GMT, Jayathirth D V <jdv at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> When JDK is built on BigSur with Xcode12.5 and used to run jtreg tests in macOS10.15 with Xcode <=12.4 we are getting compilation error. We dont set any deployment target when when we use xcrun to create .air file and this issue looks similar to https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/105719. Also https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/105719 states that even if they set app deployment target they need to explicitly set deployment in "xcrun metal".
>>
>> Made same change to use -mmacosx-version-min=10.12.00 in our make file. Whether we should keep 10.12.00 or 10.13/14 is open to discussion for metal pipeline.
>>
>> SwingSet2, J2DDemo & JCK/jtreg runs in CI are green. Also Vitaly(Submitter) has confirmed that patch resolves the issue.
>
> Jayathirth D V has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Use Macro for version

The JDK default of 10.12 is an old and rather conservative choice. I basically picked it as that was the oldest I could get away with at the time. This value is meant to be bumped whenever a need for it arises. Given that the oldest Macos version still getting Apple support is 10.15, I see no issue with raising this to at least 10.14, if that is what any part of the JDK requires. The whole point of defining that value is that it should reflect our requirements.

So I propose, bump the number in configure (and jib-profiles.js) and use it in the client makefiles so we fix the problem.