RFR: 8273506: java Robot API did the 'm' keypress and caused /awt/event/KeyEvent/KeyCharTest/KeyCharTest.html is timing out on macOS 12 [v2]

Alexander Zuev kizune at openjdk.java.net
Sat Apr 23 07:25:36 UTC 2022

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:26:02 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <serb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> I am not sure do we need to discard the possibility to press the shortcuts via the FN key, if the user may press them then why the robot cannot do the same? Looks like the behavior of this key is similar to the capslock which can be toggled on/off and may have a similar issue? If yes then we can press that button in the test twice to set an initial state(similar to how could fix the same issue for the capslock).

Ok, starting from the beginning - there is no possibility to press the Function key with Robot, the corresponding key code (OSX_Function - 0x3F) has not mapped to any of the keys available to Robot. Function key does not act like a caps lock - it acts like a shift. Just like a shift, it can only be fixated by the accessibility feature "sticky keys". Once Function key is released the global state should be changed in a way as if this key is not active. We do not issue key press or key release event for the Function key. The reason of why global state is being changed this way when we issue key press/key release sequence or a totally unrelated key (OSX_DownArrow - 0x7D) is unknown, it happens in the native code outside of our control. All we can do is to eliminate the consequences of this action that started to cause problems in Mac OS X 12.