RFR: 8279614: The left line of the TitledBorder is not painted on 150 scale factor [v7]

Phil Race prr at openjdk.java.net
Thu Mar 24 03:10:48 UTC 2022

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 18:24:05 GMT, Alisen Chung <achung at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Changed the drawing area to be increased by 0.5 on the left side to prevent clipping
>
> Alisen Chung has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   scale stroke width at higher scalings

I have been following along although my comments may seem a bit dated.
1) @aivanov-jdk wrote (scroll up a lot)
When uiScale=1.25, you can see there's background color between the shadow and highlight on the second panel.

I have no idea where I should be seeing that. I see nothing like that. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place

2) What I need here is a nice little statement of what we are INTENDING to draw. I mean what the UX person sketched out on their paper at infinite resolution. What are the components ?
So something like
- a border drawn as a rectangle in a color derived from ????

- a shadow for the border drawn as 4 individual lines which are in a color derived from ??? and offset such that
to the left there's a pixel gap ??
to the right there's ??
to the top ?
to the bottom ?
they cross how ?

Can I please have a pretty picture ? Or is there one here already that shows this ideal ?
If so can we capture in words what it is doing ?

Let's assume highlight thickness has to match the border too ? Is that reasonable ?
This can definitely present challenges.

Is there a UI scale below which we special case and make sure of things and above which we say  - no issue its near enough to ideal resolution ?

I also think there's at least some analogy with OpenJFX's snap-to-pixel idea that it is sometimes better to pick a pixel and stick with it rather than span pixels and be fuzzy. Not an expert on the details of that by any means @kevinrushforth  might be able to point to something if it is relevant.

If we figure this out properly it might be useful to apply to other cases rather than applying inconsistent hacks.