RFR: 8315584 : java/awt/print/Dialog/DialogType.java fails with option not supported: yesno [v2]

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.org
Wed Sep 6 19:23:39 UTC 2023

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 01:00:17 GMT, lawrence.andrews <duke at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Test was failing with "test result: Error. Parse Exception: Arguments to `manual' option not supported: yesno"
>> Following are fixed
>> 1) Removed yesno
>> 2) Used PassFailJFrame manual test framework to show the test instruction & allow the user to decide test execution result.
>> 3) Added SkippedException in case Printer is not configured on the test host.
>> 4) Updated the instruction how to close the print dialog that test is showing to the user.
>> 5) Added an extra line to the file that was missing.
>
> lawrence.andrews has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Removed the unused import statement and comma

test/jdk/java/awt/print/Dialog/DialogType.java line 54:

> 52:             control which differs in appearance from the second dialog.
> 53:             Note: You can either press 'ESCAPE' button or click on the 'Cancel'
> 54:             to close print dialog.

Basically, the only thing that's required from the user is to close the dialogs shown by pressing Esc or clicking Cancel?

Once they're dismissed, the test could finish automatically. If it's the case, it's better to explain it in the instructions.

If an exception is thrown, the test will finish automatically.

---

It looks such a scenario is not covered by PassFailJFrame well: the instructions need to be shown for a short while before the test starts. After the user reads the instructions, the user clicks **Start** button. Then the instructions can be hidden or left on the screen (it depends on how long and complex the instructions are), and the test continues with its execution.

As soon as the test logic finishes, the test dismisses the instructions if they're still visible, and exits.

I know about at least three cases where a reduced functionality is required.