Helping to find the usefulness of a proposal

Marek Kozieł develop4lasu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 13:59:02 PDT 2009

2009/4/2 Joe Darcy <Joe.Darcy at sun.com>:
> On 04/02/09 09:09 AM, rssh at gradsoft.com.ua wrote:
>>> Polling has many, many problems associated with it:
>>>

>>  yes.  But we have no other ways to know 'meaning of mass'. I. e. 'design
>> by poll' is not good idea, but 'design without any information from real
>> word' is not good idea also.
>>
>> It's well-known problem in sociology, where, unlike computer science, we
>>  have no correct instruments at all. Exists some 'non-direct' ways
>>  to know how correct is poll: controlled auditories, same poll in different
>> cases, but all this is not panacea.
>>

>>> 1. It does not reliably measure impact. Let's say generics gets a 9.0
>>> in the polls, and the foreach loop gets only an 8.0. The right answer
>>> is to implement foreach, eventhough it scored lower. It's easier and
>>> has less impact. implementing difficulty can be decided by an expert
>>> group, but there's also the concept of impact.
>>>

>>  Yes. I think all understand this.
>> // btw, near all proposals in project coin are easy implementable.
>>

> I do not share that opinion.
>
> There are no simple language changes in Java.
>
> Given the relative scarcity of prototypes, to say nothing of prototypes
> with a thorough test suite, we can at best make informed estimates of
> the difficulty of various changes, but I'm certain there will be
> surprises down the line, as there were for every JDK 5 language change.
>
>>> A nice case in point: Almost everyone rated operator support for
>>> BigDecimal and BigInteger as very low in Stephen Colebourne's polls,
>>> but is that reflective? I don't think so. It's just the one with the
>>> lowest impact - no body cares about that a lot, and some care about it
>>> not at all. It is, however, hard to see how operator support for
>>> BigDecimal/BigInteger can break, well, anything. The value of any
>>> proposal is its positive impact divided by its negative impact, and
>>> dividing by a very small number gives you a very large number.
>>>

>> I also have question to Stephen polls: i. e. I can't understand why
>> multiline strings rated so low.  Anybody, who works with databases
>>  know, that analyzing query plan or copy non-trivial query test
>>  in java is a big pain, and most of Java project in corporate sector use
>> non-trivial sql queris".
>>   Only one answer, which I can suggest - that auditory which attend Java
>> conferences does not reflect auditory of Java users: most of Java
>> conferences attenders do system programming or research and have nothing
>> with most of  database projects which is not so interesting and rare
>> have academics interest.
>>   To verify this, possible repeat his poll on some programmer event, which
>> is not so academics.
>>

> On this point, I've long thought the Java platform is like the elephant
> in the parable about the blind men and the elephant:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Men_and_an_Elephant
>
> That is, while each of us may know and understand our own usage of Java
> quite and well and have valid ideas about how Java could be changed to
> [...]

YES I do make mistakes.
You already said that.

  While I'm against splitting Java into more languages, I'll be happy
even if one proposal will make Java better and more frendly.
  So if you think that i didn't helped at all then remove me from the group.

--
Pozdrowionka. / Regards.
Lasu aka Marek Kozieł

http://lasu2string.blogspot.com/