PROPOSAL: Binary Literals

Derek Foster vapor1 at teleport.com
Fri Apr 3 02:13:23 PDT 2009

-----Original Message-----

I did miss that suggestion, actually. Though now that you've mentioned it:

It's not that I would mind that feature in the compiler ("that feature"
being compile-time evaluation of common library
methods which are passed parameters known at compile time). However,
it doesn't sound terribly easy to implement. Especially when you consider
the implications of having to do error handling on illegal function
arguments at compile time, rather than at runtime. In fact, it sounds
a whole lot more intrusive and a lot more work for the compiler team
than just being able to parse a simple binary number.

Besides that issue, however, and besides the also (substantial!) issue
of the readability of

(0b11010100 & 0b01001011) ^ (0b01101010 | 0b10010100)

vs.

(Byte.parseByte("0b11010100",2) & Byte.parseByte("0b01001011",2) ^ (Byte.parseByte("0b01101010",2) | Byte.parseByte("0b10010100",2))

there is also the fact that some Java platforms simply don't HAVE a Byte
class. For instance, consider JavaCard:

http://java.sun.com/javacard/

A JavaCard, if you weren't aware, is a literally credit-card-sized computer
running a very stripped-down JVM that is just capable enough that it
can do encryption calculations in order to ensure, for instance, that
the card is connecting to an authorized and properly authenticated bank
machine. There's no room in a machine that small for the vast majority
of standard library classes, most of which would be useless anyway in
a computer of those capabilities. For instance, there is no support
for java.lang.String, java.lang.Integer, and so forth (since this
computer has no need to process Strings, and only needs integers
for the purpose of number-crunching math, not nullness checks).

Programmers for JavaCard could easily use binary numbers in their
encryption algorithms. That's a use case that is easily handled by
my proposal. However, importing a library that depends on
Byte.parseInt(java.lang.String, int) isn't going to be sufficient
for them, because they have neither Byte nor String.

When I worked on the massively parallel processor chip I described
earlier, our Java didn't have Byte or String classes either. Even
if it had had something like String, nobody probably would have
used it. Text processing is just not the kind of thing you use a
massively parallel number crunching chip to do. Also, when each
processor on the chip has around 8Kbytes of ROM to store program code,
you don't want to be wasting it on library routines, or calls
to them, that you don't really need.

Derek