Syntax patterns: more statistics.

Tom Ball tball at google.com
Mon Apr 20 15:39:34 PDT 2009

It is indeed good work, but like all metrics, these measurements need
to be treated as rough indicators rather than firm values.  The
Jackpot project (an automated refactoring tool) had a rule to change
if statements to conditional expressions -- it found a lot of
candidates, but most were rejected by developers using the tool.  When
asked, developers gave readability as the primary concern, stating
that it was worth some verbiage to make the code easier to read.  My
hunch is that a lot of potential elvis uses will be rejected for
similar reasons.

Tom