Miranda methods and Methods added by Code Generators

Neal Gafter neal at gafter.com
Mon Aug 9 09:54:21 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Andrew Dinn <adinn at redhat.com> wrote:

> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/compiler-dev/2010-August/002253.html
>
> The JVM spec appears to indicate that SYNTHETIC merely means not present in
> the source code. The associated thread mentioned something about the
> language spec providing a different  meaning. Can you explain where exactly
> your definition above comes from?

It comes from the practice of implementing the language.  In other words,
that was the working definition that we used, even though the definition was
never published in a publicly available document.  We never did get around
to producing a compiler specification, which would have been the right place
to document it.  As a simple example, the compiler-provided default
constructor is added by the compiler, but it is not synthetic because it is
supposed to be visible for the purposes of the language.  The synthetic flag
was systematically added to precisely those symbols that should not be
visible in the language.