Duplicate compilation attempt when code is too large

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Mon Aug 18 19:54:10 UTC 2014

On 08/03/2014 09:52 AM, Alex Meiburg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first time posting to this list, and I'm not sure of the
> right protocol -- I've got the following patch to submit. When jsr/ret
> were in use, if a method ran over the 64k code limit, it would try
> compilation again with more aggressive space optimization. Since
> jsr/ret aren't used any more, this just means that it takes twice as
> long to report the error to the user.
>
> There's also some (unused) code in dump() that was printing to sysout
> where it should have been printing to syserr.
>
> I have the patch attached, how/where do I submit it? Please excuse my
> ignorance, I couldn't find the answer. Thanks!
>
> -- Alexander Meiburg

I looked at the suggestion for Gen.    The code has been partially
cleaned up in this area, such that the catch block is now dead code. So
there isn't an "efficiency" argument to be made here, but I agree that
cleaning up the dead code (and the dead exception which appears to no
longer be thrown) would be a good idea.

I looked at the suggestion for Code, and the inconsistent use of
System.out and System.err.  I think a good fix here would be to declare
a single local variable to specify the stream to which all the printing
in that method should be done.

-- Jon