javac8 with jdk7

Liam Miller-Cushon cushon at google.com
Tue Mar 25 23:10:01 UTC 2014

Hi Jon,

I was interested in running javac 8 on the JRE 7 to compile java 7 code. In
that case my understanding is that you do need to set the JVM's
bootclasspath, since javac itself depends on classes from the latest JRE.

A more concrete question is whether it's desirable for javac to depend on
the latest versions of platform libraries when there are alternatives. For
example:
- the filemanager implementation could use the FileManager.Location
interface instead of depending on specific StandardLocation values
- Source.toSourceVersion(...) could return only the SourceVersion values
that are present in the current platform, instead of requiring that the
latest version is available

Liam