RFR: 8228571: [TESTBUG] Fix tests failing on non-aot platforms after JDK-8227512

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu Jul 25 05:09:09 UTC 2019

Hi Jon,

On 25/07/2019 12:52 pm, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:

> On 7/24/19 7:12 PM, Pengfei Li (Arm Technology China) wrote:
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>>> 1. I think it is a significant functional regression if a previously
>>> valid, unrelated test starts to fail when Graal is enabled.  If this
>>> were a white-box test about testing JVMs, then changing the test code
>>> may be seen as reasonable. But the two tests in question are high-level
>>> tests of unrelated features.  The test failures should be seen as
>>> underlying problems to be addressed, and not swept under the carpet with
>>> a workaround.
>>>
>>> 2. Even detecting whether or not Graal is enabled requires access to
>>> internal API, mediated through VMProps.java in the jtreg extraPropDefns
>>> mechanism, which calls down onto
>>> `sun.hotspot.code.Compiler.isGraalEnabled`. Even if you're prepared to
>>> swallow #1 and have clients change their code when Graal is enabled,
>>> telling them how to detect if Graal is enabled is pretty dire.
>> Thanks for comments. But from your point, I don't see any better
>> solution before Graal is moved out from the jdk.internal.* modules.
>>
>> Is it ok to problem-list these two cases? There's no
>> ProblemList-graal.txt in langtools. Does the ProblemList-graal
>> mechanism access VM internals as well?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Pengfei
>>

> It would be OK to ProblemList these tests. I can't speak to how
> ProblemList-graal.txt works, but I'm guessing it uses Makefile magic and
> does not depend on any special jtreg or VM technology. If you can create
> the problemlist file in test/langtools, with no other changes to
> test/langtools, that would be a preferable solution to the changeset
> that is being proposed.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "any better solution before Graal is moved
> out from the jdk.internal.* modules." It seems to me the problem is a
> missing module dependency and not by any side effect of being an
> "internal module".
>
> I'm not familiar with anything beyond the superficial details of how
> Graal works in OpenJDK, but it seems to be the problem starts when the
> special -XX options are provided on the command line .... those switches
> seem to implicitly change the need for the extra module to be present,
> thus causing existing, working code to fail. In other words, the
> switches are not enough when a VM with limited modules is used. From an
> oustsider "layman" position, maybe the code underlying those switches
> should ensure that the module is made available, even in the face of a
> --limit-modules option.

I agree that when the test configuration logic enables Graal it should
add whatever flags are needed to enable Graal to work. However I don't
know if that can be arbitrarily combined with test specific settings
like --limit-modules. The module system folk would have to tell us how
exactly --limit-modules works and whether there is another flag that
would add the necessary access to the graal module without needing to
augment the @modules section of the test.

David
-----