4206909 - adding Z_SYNC_FLUSH support to deflaters

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at Sun.COM
Sun Sep 13 17:11:16 UTC 2009

Martin Buchholz wrote:
> :
> The use case for full flush is partial recoverability from future corruption
> of the data.  If the competing java zib libraries are supporting this
> flush variant,
> we probably should too, for completeness.

It's worth considering although we get into detail as to how the flush
mode is expressed in the constructor (an int is awkward because of the
existing size parameter, and java.util.zip was well into adolescence
when enums were introduced). The other option is to just ignore it as
the proposed Deflater.deflate method supports full flush and it's not
too difficult to create your own OutputStream that uses Deflater.

-Alan.